Screenplay: Billy Wilder, I.A.L Diamond
"Fran: For a while there, you try kidding yourself that you're going with an unmarried man. Then one day he keeps looking at his watch, and asks you if there's any lipstick showing, then rushes off to catch the seven-fourteen to White Plains. So you fix yourself a cup of instant coffee -- and you sit there by yourself -- and you think -- and it all begins to look so ugly --"
"Fran (shaking her head): Would you mind opening the window?
She turns off the electric blanket as Bud crosses to the window, pushes it up. Then a thought strikes him, and he looks at Fran suspiciously.
Bud: Now don't go getting any ideas, Miss Kubelik.
Fran: I just want some fresh air.
Bud: It's only one story down -- the best you can do is break a leg.
Fran: So they'll shoot me -- like a horse.
Bud (approaching the bed): Please, Miss Kubelik, you got to promise me you won't do anything
foolish.
Fran: Who'd care?
Bud: I would.
Fran (sleepily): Why can't I ever fall in love with somebody nice like you?
Bud (ruefully): Yeah. Well -- that's the way it crumbles, cookie-wise. Go to sleep."